Are you a very recent addict to Patrick O’Brian’s books and looking for what to read next? Don’t worry, we are here to help you with a complete list of Patrick O’Brian books in order!
In addition to twenty volumes in the highly respected Aubrey/Maturin series, Patrick O’Brian’s many books include “Testimonies,” “The Golden Ocean,” and “The Unknown Shore”.
O’Brian also wrote acclaimed biographies of Pablo Picasso and Sir Joseph Banks and translated many works from the French, among them the novels and memoirs of Simone de Beauvoir and Jean Lacouture’s biographies of Charles de Gaulle.
He passed away in January 2000 at the age of 85.
We looked at all of the books authored by Patrick O’Brian and bring a list of Patrick O’Brian’s books in order for you to minimize your hassle at the time of choosing the best reading order.
Hope this article about Patrick O’Brian books in order will help you when choosing the reading order for his books and make your book selection process easier and faster.
Patrick O’Brian Books In Order
You have four options when choosing the reading order for Patrick O’Brian’s books:
- Aubrey/Maturin Books
- Standalone Novels
- Non-Fiction Books
Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey/Maturin Books In Order
We propose the following publication order when reading Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey/Maturin books:
- Master and Commander (1969)
- Post Captain (1972)
- HMS Surprise (1973)
- The Maritius Command (1977)
- Desolation Island (1978)
- The Fortune of War (1979)
- The Surgeon’s Mate (1980)
- The Ionian Mission (1981)
- Treason’s Harbour (1983)
- The Far Side of the World (1984)
- The Reverse of the Medal (1986)
- The Letter of Marque (1988)
- The Thirteen-Gun Salute (1989)
- The Nutmeg of Consolation (1991)
- The Truelove (1992)
- The Wine-Dark Sea (1993)
- The Commodore (1994)
- The Yellow Admiral (1996)
- The Hundred Days (1998)
- Blue at the Mizzen (1999)
- 21: The Final Unfinished Voyage of Jack Aubrey (2004)
Patrick O’Brian’s Standalone Novels In Order
We propose the following publication order when reading Patrick O’Brian’s Standalone Novels:
- Caesar (1930)
- Hussein, An Entertainment (1938)
- Testimonies (1952)
- The Catalans (1953)
- The Road to Samarcand (1954)
- The Golden Ocean (1956)
- The Unknown Shore (1959)
- Richard Temple (1962)
Patrick O’Brian’s Collections In Order
We propose the following publication order when reading Patrick O’Brian’s Collections:
- The Chian Wine (1974)
- Collected Short Stories (1994)
- The Rendezvous (1994)
- No Pirates Nowadays and Other Stories (2015)
- Beasts Royal: Twelve Tales of Adventure (2015)
- The Uncertain Land and Other Poems (2019)
Patrick O’Brian’s Non-Fiction Books In Order
We propose the following publication order when reading Patrick O’Brian’s Non-Fiction books:
- Men-of-War (1974)
- Pablo Ruiz Picasso (1976)
- Joseph Banks (1993)
Your Thoughts About Patrick O’Brian Books In Order
Are you a huge fan of Patrick O’Brian’s books like us?
Do you disagree with this list about Patrick O’Brian books in order?
Have you just begun reading the books?
What’s your plan for the reading order?
Do we miss any books to add to our list?
Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
- Neil Gaiman Books In Order
- Matthew Reilly Books In Order
- Marie Lu Books In Order
- Tim Green Books In Order
- Carol Higgins Clark Books In Order