Are you a very recent addict to James Baldwin’s books and looking for what to read next? Don’t worry, we are here to help you with a complete list of James Baldwin books in order!
James Arthur Baldwin was an American novelist, playwright, essayist, poet, and activist. His essays explore intricacies of racial, sexual, and class distinctions in the Western society of the United States during the mid twentieth century.
Baldwin’s novels, short stories, and plays fictionalize fundamental personal questions and dilemmas amid complex social and psychological pressures.
Baldwin’s protagonists are often but not exclusively African American, and gay and bisexual men frequently feature as protagonists in his literature.
We looked at all of the books authored by James Baldwin and bring a list of James Baldwin’s books in order for you to minimize your hassle at the time of choosing the best reading order.
Hope this article about James Baldwin books in order will help you when choosing the reading order for his books and make your book selection process easier and faster.
James Baldwin Books In Order
You have four options when choosing the reading order for James Baldwin’s books:
- Standalone Novels
- Short Story Collections
- Non-Fiction Books
James Baldwin’s Standalone Novels In Order
We propose the following publication order when reading James Baldwin’s Standalone Novels:
- Go Tell It on the Mountain (1952)
- Giovanni’s Room (1956)
- Another Country (1962)
- The Fire Next Time (1963)
- Tell Me How Long the Train’s Been Gone (1968)
- If Beale Street Could Talk (1974)
- Little Man, Little Man (1976)
- Just Above My Head (1978)
James Baldwin’s Short Story Collections In Order
We propose the following publication order when reading James Baldwin’s Short Story Collections books:
- Sonny’s Blues (1957)
- Going to Meet the Man (1965)
- Jimmy’s Blues (1968)
- James Baldwin: Early Novels & Stories (1998)
- Fifty Famous People (2003)
- Vintage Baldwin (2004)
James Baldwin’s Plays In Order
We propose the following publication order when reading James Baldwin’s Plays books:
- The Amen Corner (1954)
- Blues for Mister Charlie (1961)
- One Day When I Was Lost (1969)
James Baldwin’s Non-Fiction Books In Order
We propose the following publication order when reading James Baldwin’s Non-Fiction books:
- Notes of a Native Son (1955)
- Nobody Knows My Name (1961)
- Black Anti Semitism And Jewish Racism (1969)
- Harlem, U.S.A. (1971)
- A Rap on Race (1971)
- No Name in the Street (1972)
- A Dialogue (1973)
- The Devil Finds Work (1976)
- The Price of the Ticket (1985)
- The Evidence of Things Not Seen (1985)
- Baldwin: Collected Essays (1998)
- Native Sons (2004)
- The Cross of Redemption (2011)
Your Thoughts About James Baldwin Books In Order
Are you a huge fan of James Baldwin’s books like us?
Do you disagree with this list about James Baldwin books in order?
Have you just begun reading the books?
What’s your plan for the reading order?
Do we miss any books to add to our list?
Don’t forget to share your thoughts in the comments section below.
- Susan Hill Books In Order
- Alastair Reynolds Books In Order
- Bruce Beckham Books In Order
- Jack Campbell Books In Order
- Justin Cronin Books In Order